Collagen is one of the most abundantly used proteins in your body.
You need collagen to provide structure to your skin and to maintain your connective tissue, which includes your tendons, ligaments, muscles, hair, skin, nails, and more.
Your body is made up of lots of different building blocks so it is important to make sure that you get enough of them. This helps to ensure your continued good health.
It also helps to repair and restore your body when there is existing damage.
Health Benefits of Collagen
The many different roles of collagen mean that it can help your health in many ways, including:
- Repairing damaged skin and improving skin integrity
- Strengthening bones and supporting bone health in aging people
- Improving skin elasticity and hydration
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing joint pain by supporting cartilage formation and function
- Maintenance of muscle mass in aging individuals
- Supporting health and integrity of blood vessels
Collagen supplementation is important as you age because it becomes harder for your body to produce.
Another role that collagen fills in your health is in the support of your gut health.
There are a lot of different things that cause damage to the gut. Collagen helps to repair damaged gut lining and reduces inflammation, helping to soothe your gut, and restore its integrity.
It is considered a superfood for gut health.