Katherine is a certified naturopath and the founding director of Acorn and Oak.
She began studying Naturopathy when she was 18 years old and has practiced in both Melbourne and rural Victoria. She has also studied 2 1/2 years of nursing and midwifery, but decided that she was happier to work with women as a naturopath and support them through their journey of pregnancy and birth. She is also a certified Hypnobirthing practitioner. Katherine is a graduate from the 4 Seasons Journey – School of Shamanic Womancraft. She is currently studying with the Inca Medicine School and is following the path of a Nusta Paqu (medicine woman/shaman).
Studying midwifery taught Katherine many new things about pregnancy, childbirth and the hospital system, all of which help her to be a better clinician. Katherine’s approach to treatment combines scientific research and laboratory testing, traditional medicine, clinical nutrition, lifestyle counselling, herbal medicine, and homeopathy.
Katherine also support couples in pregnancy and through birth by listening, attending, informing and guiding without judgement. Understanding your hopes for your birth will help her support you. Katherine’s main focus when working with birthing families as a doula is ensuring that you feel educated, supported and able to make informed birth choices before and during the birth.
As a doula, she weaves ancient wisdom from her shamanic roots with he clinical knowledge from her midwifery studies and fuse it with her naturopathic principles to support you as you sit at the birth altar and embrace this transformative time.
“My aim is to educate and empower you to take control of your health and ensure that you and your family reach your full potential. I seek to understand how individual symptoms are connected in order to get to the root cause of a person’s health concerns. All the factors that contribute to your present state of health, such as lifestyle, stress and the foods you eat are considered, before a treatment plan is specifically tailored to your needs”.
Katherine has 4 children (8, 14, 16 and 24) who have all taught her and continue to be her greatest teachers. In her spare time you will find her pottering in her garden, walking through the wilderness talking to the plants, wildcrafting and drinking copious amounts of rooibos chai!
Areas of Interest as a Naturopath
- Pre conception care
- Birth preparation
- Postpartum/Postnatal care
- Breastfeeding issues- supply and mastitis
- Children’s health and wellbeing
- Thyroid health
- GUT health/digestive issues
Recent Continuing Education
- Peaceful Kids Facilitator Training
- International Integrative Chinese Medicine Conference-Supercharge your Fertility Practice
- MINDD (Metabolic, Immunologic, Neurologic, Digestive, Developmental) Practitioner Training. Focusing on paediatric disorders such as ADHD, Asthma, allergies, autism, chronic illness, depression, learning and language delay, and digestive and behavioural disorders. https://mindd.org/
- Rachel Arthur- Mastering Mental Health Seminar
- Vitae Mosaic – Naturopathic Functional Medicine training
- Rachel Arthur- Thyroid assessment and treatment- prenatally, pregnancy, paediatric
- Bio Ceuticals Elisa Song Holistic Children’s Health Seminar
- OptimalRx webinar- Fiona Lam: Teenage Health
- OptimalRx webinar- Julianne Grant: The Paediatric Herbal Dispensary
Katherine’s Fees for 2023
Initial consultation for 60 minutes is $165.00
Return consultation for 45 minutes is $123.75
Return consultation for 30 minutes is $82.50
Katherine sees clients face to face as well as via Telehealth appointments and are available on Thursdays, from 9:30am – 5:30pm.
Package Fee for Doula Services
A total cost of $2200 comprises the following payments:
- NO FEE – Initial meeting, 30 minutes – (can be done via zoom or face to face at Acorn and Oak in Ballarat or Soul Seed Sanctuary in Taradale).
- $500 – Booking Fee – Non Refundable – Payable to confirm services
- $800 – Birth planning, due at 30 weeks – Includes 2 antenatal visits (one visit would be at acorn and oak or soul seed sanctuary and one visit would be at your home)
- $900 – Birth fee, due at 36 weeks
(Optional and additional cost)
- $220 – Postnatal visit home appointment (included in price is travel time to and from you house) – 30 mins
We work with clients through the NDIS.
1:1 Shamanic Healing Session
Shamanic healing is an ancient energy medicine – sacred, powerful, and life-changing. It is not a treatment that is done to you; it is a spiritual journey your soul goes on. We gather in protected sacred space, calling in allies in the spirit world, the mountains, the Star beings, Pachamama… and together we work on […]
What is a doula? A doula is a trained professional who provides emotional and physical support to a woman and her partner during pregnancy, labor, and postpartum. Having a doula can empower the woman and her partner to make informed decisions throughout the childbirth experience. With a doula’s support, the couple can feel more confident […]
Are you looking for hand and foot reflexology near you in Ballarat, Victoria? Find how a Ballarat reflexology therapy promotes health wellness. So, what is this therapy? Reflexology is a form of complementary therapy which aims to promote wellness in other areas of the body. It is a holistic practice in which the application of […]
Ballarat Naturopathy Core Principles
Before we discuss the core principles defined by our Ballarat naturopath, let us first know what is naturopathy. Naturopathy is a distinct and a complete system of health care. It is dedicated to the study and celebration of nature’s healing powers. The core practice of naturopathy is as old as healing itself, and as modern […]
Homeopathy In Australia
How is homeopathy done in Australia? And where can I find homeopathic medicine near me in Australia? Read more below to know the answers to these frequently asked questions. Homeopathy is a therapeutic system that has been used for over 200 years. The term “homeopathy” comes from the Greek word, “homeo“, meaning similar, and “pathos“, […]
Here in our natural health clinic near Bendigo and Castlemaine, we offer a range of testing, both diagnostic as well as functional diagnostic, including: Just visit Acorn and Oak Apothecary as we also conduct several health sessions to help you gain back the happy and healthy you. Check this out here. […]
Herbal medicine has been practised for centuries, not just in Australia but in all over the world. Until about 50 years ago nearly all of the entries in pharmacopoeias describing the manufacture of drugs indicated a herbal origin. For example, Aspirin was discovered in the last century from the herb willow bark. It was done […]
The quality of the food we eat and the nutrition that we get affect our whole body’s wellness. Get nutrition facts from our Ballarat nutritionists to get the best that you need. From our food, we obtain the vital building blocks for our body and the vitamins and minerals are required to help our cells […]