Ever heard of ‘beauty is only skin deep’? It is a well-known phrase that tells us a lot about ourselves, but also society around us. While it is true that there is a lot more to everyone than physical appearance, sometimes the idea of being judges only by what we look like gets in our head. You might find this challenge resonating with you if you have some issues with your skin health.
Most people are self-conscious when their skin health isn’t where they want it to be, but they might not know that there are things that you can do to improve it. Read more below and learn how naturopathy can support your skin health efficiently.
Role of the Skin
One of the first things to realise about your skin is what it does. Most of us know that it’s a barrier that protects us from the outside world – the first layer of defence. What you might not realise is that your skin also absorbs and excretes different substances. It is also one of the ways that your body eliminates waste. If your gut, liver, or kidneys are overburdened, then your body might try to eliminate additional waste through the skin.
Acne and Skin Health
When your skin has a breakout, it can be both uncomfortable and frustrating. Some of the reasons why you might have acne include:
- Excessive levels of a specific bacteria: Propionibacterium acnes.
- Nutrient deficiencies.
- Hormonal factors, including high/excess levels of androgens.
- Increased oil production leading to clogged pores.
A Naturopath will be able to tell you which approach will be of the most benefit to you, but here are some things you can do to help improve your skin health:
- Avoid dairy products: these increase the oil your skin produces which can block your pores. It is also high in insulin-like growth factor 1 which caused inflammation.
- Support the clearance of hormones and toxins through the liver. This helps if excess androgens or poor waste clearance are contributing to your acne.
- Avoid inflammatory foods such as processed sugars and increase anti-inflammatories such as turmeric.
- Support good gastrointestinal health to reduce inflammation and support waste elimination.
- Support a health microbiome by eating fermented foods, having probiotics, and eating fibre.
Specific nutritional and herbal support are best provided following a consultation with a naturopath. This will help to ensure that you get the most appropriate advice for what might be negatively impacting your skin health. Book your appointment with our Ballarat naturopathy here.
Don’t forget to check these articles about general health and kid’s health issues prepared by the best naturopathy in Ballarat.