As a relative of the mint family, motherwort grows and spreads rapidly.
Motherwort is a lovely maternal herb, providing for women in all stages of life. The energy of this herb gives a safe harbour, a sense of matriarchal protection, in which you can take shelter.
It is suited to anyone who needs a warm, settling embrace to combat excess energy of the heart or mind. This can range from stress to grief to anxiety, any strong emotion where you need to be grounded.
Motherwort provides serenity and nourishment to all who take it, lifting the heart and driving away negative emotion.
Motherwort Herbal Actions
The specific actions for this herb are as follows:
- Nervine tonic improves the function of the nervous system.
- Cardiotonic improves heart function.
- Hypotensive reduces blood pressure.
- Antiarrhythmic helps normalise heart rhythm.
- Antithyroid reduces thyroid activity.
- Spasmolytic relieves smooth muscle spasms.
- Emmenagogue initiates and promotes menstrual flow.
These actions make motherwort beneficial in the treatment and management of a range of conditions.
- Anxiety, depression, and emotional burnout all benefit from the peace and shelter of this herb as it supports the nervous system.
- Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, and nervous tachycardia all benefit from the cardiovascular effects of Motherwort.
- Hyperthyroidism benefits from both the cardiovascular effects and reduction in thyroid activity.
- Women with an irregular menstrual cycle can benefit from the regulation and stimulation that Motherwort gives, as well as its hormonal support.
- Menopause benefits from Motherwort too, supporting physical changes but also the transition from one stage of life to the next.
There are a few conditions when care needs to be taken with the use of this herb, including:
- Pregnancy because Motherwort is a uterine stimulant.
- Hypothyroidism as it can further lower thyroid activity.
- Endometriosis, particularly when fibroids are present.
This isn’t to say that you can’t have it, but it does need to be overseen by someone who can keep an eye on your health and make sure there are no complications.