Make this homemade herbal hair oil to help keep your scalp nourished. It also supports the health of your hair, helping to keep it shiny, smooth, and reducing split ends.
Once you have made it, you use ¼ of a cup of the oil, massaging it into your scalp and down the length of your hair. Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap for 30-60 minutes. Then wash the oil out with shampoo, you may need to wash it twice. You can also use conditioner if you normally would after the wash.
Homemade Herbal Oil Ingredients
- 1 cup of organic sweet almond oil
- ½ cup of organic dried rosemary
- 2 Tbsp of dried organic horsetail
- 2 Tbsp of dried organic gotu kola
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
How To Make It
- Add water to the bottom half of a double boiler. Combine the herbs and sweet almond oil in the top half of the boiler.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Leave to simmer for 1 hour, check water level occasionally. Stir oil and herbs periodically.
- Strain the oil through several layers of cheesecloth into a container you can pour it from. Discard the herbs.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then add the essential oils. Stir to mix them thoroughly.
- Store in a 250mL amber glass bottle in a dark, cool location. Use within 6 months.
You now have your homemade herbal oil for a shiny and healthy hair! Adapted from a recipe by Ashley from ‘Home Apothecary’.
Check these other herbal recipe ideas prepared from our apothecary in Victoria, Australia.