Once people used herbs a lot more often to help fortify themselves as they moved through the seasons. This recipe of herbal mulled wine brings together a lovely combination of warming and strengthening herbs – perfect for the days as they grow shorter and colder.
What You Need:
- 1 bottle red wine, better if organic or sulfite-free, try a Merlot or your favourite full-bodied red wine
- 1 tbsp dried hawthorn berries
- 2 tsp dried goji berries
- 1 tsp dried astragalus root
- 2 Tbsp dried ginger root
- 1 Tbsp of dried cinnamon root
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 3 x 3-inch strips orange zest or dried orange slices
Herbal Mulled Wine: What To Do
- Add wine, herbs, berries, and spices to a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and warm over very low heat.
- Steep the herbs for at least 1 hour on low heat. Make sure it doesn’t simmer.
- Add honey, stirring to dissolve.
- Allow to cool slightly then strain.
- Serve warm, adding the orange zest or dried slices as a garnish.
Adapted from a recipe by Anna Marie Beauchemin, find the original here.
Katherine is a certified naturopath and the founding director of Acorn and Oak. She began studying Naturopathy when she was 18 years old and has practiced in both Melbourne and rural Victoria. She has also studied 2 1/2 years of nursing and midwifery, but decided that she was happier to work with women as […]
Read More… from Katherine Knott
Nicki has always been drawn to Holistic Health and she follows in her mother’s footsteps who is a Reflexologist and Natural Therapist. Nicki was inspired to study Herbal Medicine after attending one of Dr. Sandi Rogers’ (Naturopath, Director of National College of Traditional Medicine and former President of Australian Traditional Medicine Society) seminars on ‘Fruits […]
Read More… from Nicki Stewart
Alyce is qualified naturopath in Ballarat who loves supporting people on their health journey. Alyce believes optimising and restoring health first and foremost begins with food as medicine and creating healthy lifestyle habits. She is passionate about providing a safe, non judgement environment and endeavours to support her clients with strategies they can implement into […]
Read More… from Alyce Beaton