Ever caught a virus that seems to hang around for far longer than usual? Post-viral syndrome, also known as post-viral fatigue, isn’t a new condition. And with an integrative doctor in Ballarat, let us learn the most common symptoms in a post-viral syndrome to take properly care of ourselves.
People often experience after severe viral infections. Most recently it has been seen following a COVID infection. You probably know it better as long COVID.
Top Symptoms in Post-Viral Syndrome
There are a wide variety of symptoms associated with long COVID or other post-viral syndromes. It impacts many body systems and causes a significant impact on your body. Some of the systems and symptoms you may experience include:
- Nervous system: cognitive dysfunction, cognitive fatigue, trouble thinking, brain fog, memory issues, anxiety, depression, insomnia.
- Immune system: chronic cough, sore throat, swollen glands, reoccurring infections.
- Endocrine system: fatigue, low energy, lethargy.
- Musculoskeletal system: myalgia, headaches, muscle weakness, joint pain.
- Gastrointestinal system: changes to bowel habits, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, bloating.
The wide variety of systems impacted and symptoms you might have make it important to approach this type of illness in multiple ways. Supporting just the immune system isn’t enough, you need to have a holistic approach. Helping all areas of your body that might be struggling to recover together.
Convalescence in Post Viral
One of the major things that you can do to help support yourself if an illness is lingering is to rest. Convalescence is something that our lives don’t often allow for in this modern age. Everything has urgency and deadlines always seem to loom. You’re expecting to return to work asap rather than trying to recover. This often leads to you going to work, but not being able to keep up with your normal workload. It can also lead to you getting sick again, possibly with a worse illness.
Herbal Approach in Post-Viral Syndrome
Herbs have long been used to help support the body, with immune modulating and adaptogenic herbs often being used to help support convalescence. Especially when the recovery period is extended or when you don’t seem to have been able to completely shake the illness.
These herbs help re-establish homeostasis in your body through modulating the immune, nervous, and endocrine systems. A naturopath may recommend some of these herbs to help support your health:
- Astragalus: supporting the immune system and enhancing endurance.
- Siberian ginseng: to support convalescence, restoring mental and physical wellbeing.
- Codonopsis: helping to manage weakness and address a lot of the symptoms of illness.
- Schisandra: to help reduce the fatigue associated with illness.
Lastly, if you want to easily book an appointment with our integrative doctors, just click the button below. You might also want to check other healthcare articles.