Did you know the top health benefits of oats that it is considered as superfood? Read more below to learn why.
Oats have been used in various forms for a long time. Originally, oats were a food source for horses and barbarians, at least as far as ancient Greece and Rome were concerned.
Oats were eventually used as a medicine in the 1600’s. In more recent years, oats have gained a reputation as a superfood.
It has a high nutritional content, containing B vitamins, proteins, fats, and minerals. It is a nourishing and nutritive herb that helps support you during nervous conditions.
Top Health Benefits of Oats
Some of the main health benefits that have been linked to oats include:
- Nervous system: gently improves energy and provides support for an overly stressed nervous system
- Beta-glucan: a soluble fibre found in oats that supports blood glucose and cholesterol levels
- Digestive system: its fibre content also helps relieve constipation as it’s a bulk-forming laxative
- Anti-inflammatory: topical application can help to relieve itchiness and irritation of the skin
- Supportive of cardiovascular function
Oats: Food as Medicine
The good thing about oats is that you don’t have to have them as a tincture in order to benefit from them. If you eat 50-75g of organic oats per day, you are getting enough in your diet to get their nervous system benefits.
By eating oats, you also get the benefit of increased fibre in your diet, which helps to support and promote gut health. If you are sensitive or intolerant to gluten, oats may not be for you as you may also react to oats.
A good breakfast to try is:
- Cook the oats in water or milk with ½ tsp of organic butter, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, raw walnut pieces, and fruit of your choice. Once cooked, top with 1 Tbsp of linseed meal. For added sweetness, add some maple syrup or honey.
You can also have a cup of Ground Herbal Tea from our herbal dispensary in Ballarat Central, Victoria. Just click here.